Useful or Beautiful
UAL is launching the ‘Useful or Beautiful’ challenge to encourage a creative response to the challenge of recycling and reducing waste. The challenge of recycling more but also using less is encapsulated by the William Morris quote;
“‘Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”
It’s simple: salvage discarded materials from across UAL’s buildings and repurpose them into something useful, beautiful or both!
If you are inspired to create something tell your colleagues or fellow students, get together and agree a time during Green Week ’18 and start salvaging and creating. This is a cross-College competition and it is your chance to 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐣𝐮𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐫, 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐫, 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐓𝐕 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 - Drew Pritchard is a presenter on ‘Salvage Hunters’ and will be a guest judge.
𝐇𝐨𝐰 ‘𝐔𝐬𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐨𝐫 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥’ 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐬:
1. The design challenge will take place for one day during Green Week (12th – 16th Feb 2018). Agree a time during Green Week ’18 to salvage discarded materials from accessible waste bins in your College and create your piece.
2. Work in a team from your College, there is no team size limit but we recommend a minimum of 5 people.
3. Materials used must be waste materials found across the university (it is acceptable to use new fixtures such as nails to create the final piece but it should use 90% waste material).
4. Each team will submit their entry in the form of a photo(s) using this form https://goo.gl/forms/mS5SIggRR8CrExLD3
5. The entries will be passed electronically to members of UAL’s Operating Board on Monday 19th February 2018 where they will be able to award their first, second and third place entry.
𝐆𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐉𝐮𝐝𝐠𝐞 – 𝐒𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐰 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝!
Esteemed antiques restorer, dealer, salvage hunter and TV personality Drew Pritchard is our guest judge. Drew has a passion for the arts and crafts movement, the work of William Morris and upcycling (https://www.drewpritchard.co.uk/pages/about). Drew Pritchard is a presenter on a TV show ‘Salvage Hunters’ (http://www.questtv.co.uk/salvage-hunters/).